3rd April 2020 0 Comments
- Serves: 4
- Cooks in : 1 hour
- Difficulty: Easy
Straw onions are great as a side or even as a topping for a burger, salad or even with some grilled fish.
- • 2 large Spanish onions
- • 500ml buttermilk
- • Approximately 500ml vegetable or sunflower oil
- • 300g self-raising flour
- • 2 tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder
- • 3 tablespoons of cornflour
- • 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- • 30g salt
- • 15g garlic powder
- Slice the Spanish onions wafer thin (use a mandolin if you have one, otherwise a sharp knife will do the trick).
- Pour the buttermilk into a large bowl, add the onions and soak for 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour mix ingredients together – self-raising flour, cayenne pepper powder, cornflour and garlic powder.
- Preheat vegetable oil or sunflower oil in a pan.
- Coat the onions in the flour mix.
- Fry onions until golden brown and crispy, carefully remove from oil using a spider (or a sieve) and lay out on a baking tray lined with kitchen roll to remove oil.
- Mix the 30g of salt and 15g of garlic powder together.
- Season the onion with the garlic salt to serve.