3rd April 2020 0 Comments
- Serves: 4
- Cooks in : 3 hours
- Difficulty: Hard
Scotch egg with mustard mayonnaise, a classic pub bar snack that you can enjoy at home.
- • 20ml vegetable oil
- • 1 large onion, finely diced
- • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- • 1 sprig of fresh thyme, rubbed
- • 6 sage leaves, chopped
- • 1 sprig of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- • 500g fresh pork sausage meat
- • Pinch of sea salt flakes (we use Maldon sea salt)
- • Pinch of ground white pepper
- • 4 eggs
- • 150g plain flour
- • 3 eggs, beaten
- • 150g panko breadcrumbs
- • 10 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- • 3 tablespoons of English mustard
- • 3 tablespoons of clear honey
- Heat the oil in a thick-bottomed pan. Add the onion, garlic and thyme, then cook gently until tender without colour.
- Add the chopped sage and parsley.
- Remove from the heat and chill in the fridge until cold.
- Place the sausage meat into a large bowl and add the chilled onion mix and season with the sea salt and ground white pepper. Mix well until it comes together. You can do this by hand or in a mixer.
- Boil the eggs for 6 minutes. Remove and chill in an ice bath. When cold, peel eggs. Peel carefully!
- Place a square of cling film on a table, spoon 100g of the sausage meat on top, and place another square of cling film on top of meat. Flatten out meat between the cling film layers until large enough to cover the circumference of the egg. Remove the top layer of cling film and place one of the eggs in the middle of the meat. Bring the corners of the bottom layer of cling film around the egg until the meat is fully encasing the egg. Twist the cling film at the top so you now have a ball of meat with an egg in the middle. Chill in the fridge until cold.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- Breadcrumb coating you need to dip each ball into the flour, then the beaten egg mixture, and then the panko bread crumbs to coat. The panko bread crumb is easier to work with if you can blend it until fine. Repeat the process so that the Scotch eggs are double coated.
- Place the Scotch eggs on a baking tray and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Alternatively, for a super crispy Scotch egg, deep fry until golden brown, the sausage meat is cooked but the egg yolk is still runny.
- To make the mustard mayonnaise mix all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.