3rd April 2020 0 Comments
- Serves: 4
- Cooks in: 30 minutes – up to 24 hours marinade and chill time
- Difficulty: Easy
Enjoy, buttermilk-fried chicken in a brioche bun like you’re watching the match down the pub, with a pint in your other hand.
- • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- • 2 banana shallots, sliced (use regular shallots if banana shallots unavailable)
- • 4 sprigs of thyme, rubbed
- • 500ml buttermilk
- • 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
- • 1 tablespoon white wine
- • Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- • 2 teaspoons of sea salt (we use Maldon sea salt)
- • 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns
- • 700g skinned and boneless chicken thighs
- • 200g panko bread crumbs
- • Approximately 500ml vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- Place the garlic, shallots, thyme, buttermilk,smoked paprika, wine, lemon sea salt and black peppercorns into a large bowl.
- Place the chicken into the buttermilk marinade and chill in the fridge for 24 hours. You can chill for a minimum of 6 hours if you are short of time, however the longer you let the chicken marinade, the greater depth of flavour you will get.
- When you are ready to serve, remove the chicken from the marinade, dip into the panko bread crumbs and shallow fry in a pan with around an inch of vegetable oil or sunflower oil until golden brown on each side. Ensure the chicken is hot and cooked to over 75°C all the way through.
- Serve the chicken in a brioche burger bun, with a chipotle mayonnaise and sweet potato fries, or with a summer salad.